2. Diagnostic issues
2.1 The four-glass test
2.2 Diagnostic yield
3. What is the evidence?
National Institutes of Health Summary Statement. National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Workshop on Chronic Prostatitis. Bethesda, MD, 1995.
- Questionnaire survey of urologists and primary care physicians’ diagnostic and treatment practices for prostatitis.Urology. 1997; 50: 543-547
- Diagnosis and treatment of prostatitis in Canada.Urology. 1998; 52: 797-802
- Diagnosing and treating chronic prostatitis: do urologists use the four-glass test?.Urology. 2000; 55: 403-407
Meares EMJ. Prostatitis and related disorders. In: Walsh PC, Retik AB, Vaughan Jr ED, Wein AJ, editors. Campbell’s urology, 7th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1998.
- Prostatitis: evolving management strategies.Urol. Clin. North Am. 1999; 26: 737-751
- Results of a questionnaire among Dutch urologists and general practitioners concerning diagnostics and treatment of patients with prostatitis syndromes.Eur. Urol. 1992; 22: 14-19
- Prostatitis: myths and realities.Urology. 1998; 51: 362-366
- NIH consensus definition and classification of prostatitis.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 1999; 282: 236-237
- Does the chronic prostatitis/pelvic pain syndrome differ from nonbacterial prostatitis and prostatodynia?.J. Urol. 2000; 164: 1554-1558
Insel PA. Analgesic–antipyretics and anti-inflammatory agents: drugs employed in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and gout. In: Gillman AG, Rall TW, Nies AS, Taylor P, editors. Goodman and Gilman’s, The pharmacological basis of therapeutics, 8th ed. New York: Pergamon Press; 1990.
- Ameliorative effect of allopurinol on nonbacterial prostatitis: a parallel double-blind controlled study.J. Urol. 1996; 155: 961-964
- Allopurinol for prostatitis: where is the evidence?.Lancet. 1996; 347: 1711-1712
- Quercetin in men with category III chronic prostatitis: a preliminary prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Urology. 1999; 54: 960-963
- Effect of bioflavonoids quercetin and curcumin on ischemic renal injury: a new class of renoprotective agents.Transplantation. 1998; 66: 147-152
- Quercetin, a bioflavonoid, inhibits the induction of interleukin 8 and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 expression by tumor necrosis factor-alpha in cultured human synovial cells.J. Rheumatol. 1997; 24: 1680-1684
- Treatment of chronic prostatitis and prostatodynia with pollen extract.Br. J. Urol. 1989; 64: 496-499
- Results of treatment with pollen extract (Cernilton N) in chronic prostatitis and prostatodynia.Br. J. Urol. 1993; 71: 433-438
- Evaluation of the cytokines interleukin 8 and epithelial neutrophil activating peptide 78 as indicators of inflammation in prostatic secretions.Urology. 2000; 56: 1025-1029
- Elevated levels of proinflammatory cytokines in the semen of patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome.Urology. 1998; 52: 744-749
- IL-1beta and TNF-alpha in prostatic secretions are indicators in the evaluation of men with chronic prostatitis.J. Urol. 2000; 164: 214-218
- Research guidelines for chronic prostatitis: consensus report from the first National Institutes of Health International Prostatitis Collaborative Network.Urology. 1999; 54: 229-233